Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My new fav!

Russ requested cookies for this snow day! So I jumped at the chance to try a recipe from the cookbook I have checked out from the library right now, "Cook's Illustrated - The Science of Good Cooking"!
The instructions are very particular and there are fun paragraphs explaining the details of WHY you do certain things certain ways! I love this cookbook.

You start with "browning" the butter. This was a first for me! Even on my SLOW glass top stove it browned REALLY fast! But didn't burn! yea me!

 I decided to grab my camera to post about these cookies! And couldn't find the lens I wanted so I decided to put on my lensbaby.  It makes things crazy.  I like it.  It hides the mess too.
 I am sorry if it makes you dizzy.

 You really get to baby the liquid mixture, letting it sit then stir, then sit then stir.
 I am not a patient cook.  But with a Cherry Pepsi, my camera (and crazy lens) and time on facebook with my phone.

 This is out my kitchen window.  The birds LOVE the bushes and trees out my kitchen window since my sweet neighbors feed them all winter. I love my neighbors.
 The recipe is not quite as large as the toll house version, but it made 20 medium sized cookies and ......


 Two jumbo, for my monkeys. 
 Well, actually one monkey turned them down and asked for BOXED beef stroganoff. 
He isn't much for cookies and chocolate. I am not sure he got ANY of my DNA.  He also only eats when he's hungry.  Strange monkey.

So, back to the cookies.  They are CHEWY! They are not cakey.  They are rich, and they are scrumptious!

I think they are my NEW FAV! The browned butter totally changes the flavor and if you like it there is no mistaking it! The recipe said these are best with dark brown sugar, but all I had was light. I can tell they would have a deeper flavor with the dark but oh well! They are still WAY good!

Ultimate Choc Chip Cookies

Avoid using a nonstick skillet or pan to brown the butter; the darker color of the nonstick makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is sufficiently browned.

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
1 1/4 cup semisweet choc chips (I used a bag of ghirardelli chips/chunks)
3/4 cup nuts (optional)  - my boys don't like them in cookies :(

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 375 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda and set aside.
2. Melt 10 (not 14) tablespoons butter in skillet over med-high heat. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly (my arm got tired), until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and stir until completely melted.
3. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla to melted butter; whisk until incorporated. Add egg and yolk; whisk until mixture is smooth with no lumps (about 30 seconds). Let stand for 3 minutes. Whisk 30 seconds. Repeat this process twice until it is thick, smooth an shiny.  Using a rubber spatula stir in flour mixture just until combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if using.
4. Roll 3 tablespoons into balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake one sheet at a time until golden brown and still puffy and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10-13 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer sheet to wire rack; let cookies cool to room temperature. (They seem to bake more on the sheet as they cook so centers are done.)

I didn't include all their fun explanations of why these details are so important!You will have to check out the book for that!

I would post a link but I don't have the bandwidth to even pull up the amazon page this blessed snow day.  *smile* They did stop their gaming/netflix stuff long enough for me to upload these photos!

Happy Snow Day! And happy cookie baking!


No comments: